Saturday, October 20, 2012

Spiced Apple & Cranberry Wine - started 10/20/2012

          I decided I wanted to make a wine this time around. Partly because I am starting the Brewers Guild Study Program in ADF. Partly because I want to try making meads, wines, and beers. Last weekend John and I were at a wine store where we were able to taste a few wines. There was this great Apple Spiced wine I feel in love with. So here is my attempt at making something very similar.

10/20/2012
Ingredients:

  • 1 gallon all natural Apple Cider
  • 3 lbs fresh cranberries (macerated over night)
  • 10 lbs of sugar (figured I would start out sweet)
  • 4 Campden tablets
  • 1 teaspoon pectin enzymes (using using fruit and fruit juices)
  • 2 large fresh cinnamon sticks
  • 5 whole cloves
  • 5 gallons purified water
  • 5 teaspoons yeast nutrients
  • 2 packs of wine yeast
  • 1 5 gallon fermentation bucket with lid
  • 1 air lock
  • 1 hops mesh bag
  • 3 tablespoons easy clean sterilization solution
I placed the cranberries into the mesh bag where I coated them in sugar and placed them in the frig. I will let them sit over night before pulling them back out and allowing them to come to room temp.

Brought 1.5 gallons of water to a boil. Dissolved 10 lbs of sugar into the water. While the water was heating up I sterilized the 5 gallon fermentation bucket, lid, and air lock. I then poured the 1 gallon of Apple Cider into the bucket. Then poured the melted sugar and water into the bucket. I added the 4 dissolved Campden tablets into the mixture then covered tightly with lid.

10/21/2012
Add mesh bag with cranberries into bucket after letting them sit over night in sugar. let them become room temp before adding yeast and 5 teaspoons of yeast nutrients. Made sure lid was tightly placed back on.

10/24/2012
Removed the cranberries from the wine mixture. Added 5 teaspoons of yeast nutrients, cloves, and cinnamon bark. I went with actual raw Mexican cinnamon bark. Replaced lid.

11/17/2012
Moved wine over to clean sterilized bucket. Clarity is beginning to get much better. The smell is amazing. The muck was very thick at this point. I added Campden tablets, yeast nutrients, and pectin enzyme. Replaced the lid and filled the airlock.

1/15/2013
Moved the mead over. It has a very delicate aroma and the cool is a beautiful golden shade. Added 5 cups of sugar to the mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment