Friday, June 14, 2013

Use of teas and steeped ingredients



          I have been wondering about how to use things like herbs and spices in beers and wines. From everything I have read this can be an extremely difficult process since you can not add a dash of them here and there like cooking good. And I can see where this would be an issue since you are boiling all these things together and then they ferment so it will change. You will not know for sure how much of what items to use.

          I have been doing some research on doing a cinnamon spiced beer. From what I have read most of the experiments have turned out horrid because either too much or too little was used. One site I read talked about using teas or steeped ingredients, such as the cinnamon and spices, to add AFTER the fermentation process. This way it could be added to taste. The interesting thing about this is I had already used this technique in making my Chi Hazel Nut Mead.

          This really opens the door for some more ideas and experiments that I have been wanting to try. Stay tune... I will be sharing!

No comments:

Post a Comment