Sunday, December 9, 2012

Chocolate nibs

          I had a beer the other day that I fell in LOVE with. It was a Sam Adams Chocolate Bock. I talked with my friend Larri who is a brew master.

          I asked her how she would go about making this kind of beer. She stated that she would first brew the beer and then add chocolate nibs to the secondary fermentation. So I am looking into that. I would really like to be able to add this into the process.

          So I started looking into some of the forums for beer brewing. It looks like some of them roast the chocolate nibs at about 300 degrees to help kill off any bad bacteria that might be on them. This seems to also add a bit of roasted flavor to the beer as well. It seems that the time ranges from 1-3 weeks on them in the secondary fermentation process. I would add more sugar at this time as well and perhaps some of the un-fermenting sugar as well.

          Just some of the thoughts I am having about new brews. Here is a great article on cocoa and it's use in beer:




Brewing With Cocoa

By K. Florian KlempPublished January 2010, Volume 30, Number 6

5 comments:

  1. The brew that we just finished bottling is a "chocolate milk stout" that we did use the chocolate nibs in the secondary fermentation process for about two weeks prior to bottling. It was also made with a lactose sugar so it is supposed to be really sweet. When we bottled it smelled a lot like hot chocolate so I'm very curious to see what it comes out like. I'll definitely have to let you know. It's our first experience with this type of brew so we'll see what it turns out like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmm that sounds very tasty! I really want to do like an oat chocolate stout. That sounds really tasty... but yes I want to use the lactose sugar because I like my beers on the rather sweeter side.

      I didn't know you were doing brewing Navirame. You will have to let me know how it turns out. I really enjoy doing this and learning from others.

      Delete
    2. This is the 2nd batch of beer that we've brewed so to say that I'm new at it is probably putting it mildly :) It's been an interesting experience thus far and I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

      Delete
    3. Awesome! it's such an interesting and fun hobby to have. Plus the end result is cheaper beer, wine, and mead LOL I have a ton of bottles saved already for recycling. I have been buying beers at the store that are pop tops just so I have bottles. I had to buy my first batch but now I am just recycling. And asking friends to do the same for me.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete